Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sauteed Shrimp and Guam Rice...

I think probably everyone has had sauteed shrimp at some point in their lives...but this is my take on it.

Sauteed Shrimp

1 lb large shrimp peeled
1 half stick of butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons parsley (just guessing...I don't ever measure stuff like that!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in frying pan. Add all other ingredients and cook over medium heat until shrimp are pink.

Guam Rice is another story and the ultimate for a rice dish. My Mom clipped this recipe out of the Florida Times Union many, many years ago. I tried to look the author up (someone who lived in Atlantic Beach, FL at the time) to give her credit but no such luck. So now I guess it's mine! It is jam packed with all kinds of goodies and goes especially well with seafood. My sister and her husband are visiting this weekend from West Union, SC., and I decided that this blast from our past should start the weekend off right. Main dish will be sauteed shrimp and our other side will be fresh steamed broccoli...



Guam Rice

1 cup rice
1 cup tomatoes
1 cup sharp cheese (I used shredded)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can mushrooms (stems and pieces)
1 can sliced ripe olives
1 1/2 cups boiling water (very hot from the tap is fine!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.


Going in the oven...


Finished product and oh, so good! I am sparing you pictures of us...not a pretty sight! ha!

Try 'em out and let me know what you think!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the sister from West Union and I can guarantee you that these recipes are delicious!!!!! Thanks sis.

Cathy said...

lol...so welcome! Thanks for coming!