Monday, February 9, 2009

Hot Slaw

My sister, who by the way, is an excellent cook, gave me this recipe a few years ago...of course, we've all heard of dirty rice...well, this is more like dirty slaw and serves up HOT, HOT, HOT! In the first place, who would have thought you could mix all these ingredients and end up with not only a healthy side dish as a result but something oh so good? And anyone who knows me, knows I love, love, love spicy food! Can you say the best of both worlds?

Hot Slaw

6 slices of bacon (or cheat and use a bag of real bacon pieces, Oscar Mayer preferred)
1 large chopped onion
1 medium chopped green pepper
1 large head shredded green cabbage (or cheat and use a bag of shredded cole slaw mix)
4 tablespoons chili powder
Salt to taste
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chiles (recommend Ro-Tel)



In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon and set aside.

In reserved bacon fat, cook onions and bell peppers until limp, about 5 minutes.


Add shredded cabbage and cook until limp, but not soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add chili powder and salt to taste. Add tomatoes and simmer just until warmed through. Slaw should be slightly crisp. Seasonings can be adjusted to taste but like I said, the hotter the better! Add crumbled bacon just before serving.

This side dish goes especially well with pork (whether it be a roast, tenderloin, chops, etc.) or seafood.

Enjoy! Feedback is so appreciated!


4 comments:

Jill said...

That looks soooo good! Of course, I'm not the cook around here...so I will pass this on to Jim...lol.
love ya, BFF

Heather said...

Looks delicious. I hope to try it out this weekend! I'll let you know what the family thinks!

Annell said...

Sounds great. I copied it down and will try it soon with one of the cabbages from my garden.
Annell

Lianna Knight said...

I'd rather come to your house and try it :)