Sunday, June 14, 2009

Remember When I Said?....

Remember, Bunco, Friday the 13th, February 2009? Oh, of course you do...remember this post? I said I couldn't wait to share the recipe for the Broccoli Cheddar Soup! Well, I received this email the other day and after I picked myself up off the floor and got my thoughts together, I am ready to share that recipe with all of you.


BROCCOLI-CHEDDAR SOUP

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

2 TABLESPOONS CABOT SALTED BUTTER
2 CUPS PEELED AND DICED BOILING POTATOES
(ABOUT 2 MEDIUM)
1/2 CUP CHOPPED ONION
2 TABLESPOONS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1(14 1/2-OUNCE) CAN CHICKEN BROTH(ABOUT 2 CUPS
2 CUPS MILK
3 CUPS BROCCOLI (CHOPPED FLORETS AND THINLY
SLICED STEMS)
2 CUPS GRATED CABOT SHARP OR EXTRA SHARP
CHEDDAR (ABOUT 8 OUNCES)
1 TEASPOON FRESH LEMON JUICE
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

1. IN LARGE SAUCEPAN, MELT BUTTER OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD POTATOES AND ONION AND COOK, STIRRING, UNTIL ONION IS TENDER ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

2.ADD FLOUR AND COOK, STIRRING, FOR 2 MINUTES LONGER


.3.GRADUALLY STIR IN CHICKEN BROTH AND MILK. BRING TO SIMMER AND COOK UNTIL POTATOES ARE NEARLY TENDER ABOUT 5 MINUTES. ADD BROCCOLI AND COOK UNTIL BROCCOLI IS TENDER,ABOUT 5 MINUTES LONGER.

4. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND STIR IN CHEESE. ADD LEMON JUICE AND SEASON WITH
SALT AND PEPPER.

And now you're going to be treated to another recipe...just because.

What do you do on a cloudy Saturday? Well, I obviously waste a lot of time but then start hunting around the fridge, freezer, pantry, and wherever to come up with something yummy for me!

So here's the deal...I'm going to call it Baked Chicken Spaghetti. Call it what you will, but I actually think it turned out pretty good. Only problem...it's just me here and I probably made enough to feed at least my side of Jacksonville...

At least I will have lunch, dinner and maybe even breakfast, handled for the next week!

So here goes...

Baked Chicken Spaghetti

Olive oil
Garlic Pepper
Italian Seasoning
1 medium onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 can mushrooms drained
1 1/2 lb boneless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 16 container ricotta cheese
1 16 oz box of spaghetti
2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
Parmesan cheese

Saute onions, green peppers, red peppers and mushrooms in olive oil. Add chicken and season with garlic pepper and Italian seasoning. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and ricotta cheese.

Cook spaghetti according to directions and drain, rinse with cold water. Return spaghetti to pot and mix with sauce. Reserve enough sauce to top.

Transfer to baking pan (PAM sprayed), top with remaining sauce, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Bake in oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes...

Not exactly a summer meal...but you have to admit when it's cloudy or rainy, no matter what time of year, the house gets cold and it feels like comfort food time!

Stay tuned for a surprise...I have a blog makeover coming!

1 comment:

Lianna Knight said...

YUM-O I can NOT wait to make that soup. So glad Bab's finally shared it with you.

And I KNOW you know how I excited I'll be about your make over finally going up :)