Saturday, January 17, 2009

Vegetable Soup

Before I get started, I want to put out a request to please please hold some people in your thoughts and prayers today. I don't personally know these people but I have followed their stories and definitely feel a connection.

Jenna gave birth to Brayden a few days ago and although he was full term, he experienced breathing problems and currently is in the NICU in Little Rock.

Kelly gave birth to Harper yesterday and again though full term experienced heart and lung problems. She was flown to Tulsa and currently is in the NICU there.

Please check out my sidebar for updates and more on their stories and others too and please please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Now for the soup. Here in the Sunshine State of Florida, the temperature went down to freezing last night and will be in the 30's again tonight. Now I know to so many of you, that probably seems like balmy winter weather, but to me...I'm freezing! So the remedy for freezing is good ol' homemade vegetable soup! This recipe comes from my son, Mike, who's quite a cooker...if I do say so myself!



3 cups V-8 Juice
1 can diced tomatoes (juice in the can too)
1 package frozen corn
1 potato diced
layer chopped/sliced celery
layer sliced carrots
1 package frozen green beans
1 package frozen lima beans (optional)
1/8 teaspoon savory
1/8 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons parsley
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (personally I like a lot more!)
2-3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves

Combine all the ingredients in a dutch oven or a crockpot. First the juice, tomatoes and corn.


Then the potatoes...

Now the celery...

And on to the onion...

Add the carrots...

And finally the beans...

Add the spices (these are just guidelines) and simmer on the stove or in the crockpot until the potatoes and carrots are done.


Have a good one and stay warm!


3 comments:

Lianna Knight said...

YUMMY!!!!! Of course, I'm right there with you on the cold weather...I've had a fire going all day today :)

Jill said...

You are sooo creative!! I just want to know if you hire out? :)
I love, love, love your blog..you rock D-ma.
love ya...from your BFF

Lianna Knight said...

I lied...I made the vegetable soup tonight!! Can you say DELICIOUS??? I added hamburger meat (minus the lima beans) and added tobasco...SPICEY!!!