Thursday, January 8, 2009

National Championship Chili

GO GATORS!

To me there aren't a whole lot of things better in life than some cool weather, a Florida Gator National Championship game and a big pot of chili! GO GATORS!!!

Last night in preparation for tonight's game, I made a pot of chili. I know some people like a lot of meat, others a lot of beans and still others who like a lot of both. I happen to be in the 'others' category. Although, I seem to vary a little each time I make it, my basic recipe goes like this:



1-2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 small to medium onion, chopped
4-6 cans beans (I prefer light & dark kidney beans but have used red & pinto too)
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes
2 cans tomato soup
Chili Powder to taste (I use a lot!)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cayenne and/or crushed red pepper (optional)



Brown the ground beef with the onion. Add the other ingredients and simmer on the stove or in a crock pot for several hours. Everyone knows it's better the next day
anyway!

And voila - the finished product!



I also have a couple of side notes I want to share. Lianna Knight, my beautiful daughter-in-love, and my son, the DH, are trying to raise enough money for their 3rd IVF attempt. She has a great giveaway in progress on her blog, compliments of one of her followers. Please visit Lianna at www.bethouaknight.blogspot.com to leave a comment and become a follower to enter. It doesn't cost anything to enter but any and all contributions get them that much closer to their precious dream. And I would be forever grateful for that!

Also, when you hit your knees tonight, please say a prayer for Lianna's Mom and my BFF, Jill. She's under the weather and going through a rough time right now.

So goodnight for now...hope you enjoy the chili and remember...GO GATORS!!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Nothing better than a big pot of chili! Unfortunately I am the only member of the family that likes it. So, when I make it, I have to REALLY be in the mood for it because I end up eating it for days! Gonna have to try your recipe as well as your Hot Dog Casserole. (I know I can get Zoe to eat that one!)

I've never met Lianna but I have followed her blog for quite some time. She is going to make the best mama ever. Can't wait to see what plan God has in store for her to fullfill this dream. It will happen.

Lianna Knight said...

This is my FAV!!!!! The hotter the better :)